Sunday 17 November 2013

Iqaluit - another interesting place!


I've just been made very happy by getting a purchase from Iqaluit, Nunavut, Canada!  I love a sale from somewhere interesting - and even though I'm from Canada, Iqaluit to me sounds exotic and wild :)  It is the capital of the Territory of Nunavut, in the north east of Canada.  It's a relatively new Territory, I sort of remember it's formation when I was a kid - when the Northwest Territories split into two.  I've always wanted to visit the Canadian north... the wild landscapes and small communities sound really attractive.

So off I go to Pinterest and Wikipedia to see what I can find out about Iqaluit and Nunavit to share with you all...





Oooh, so the creation of Nunavut happened in 1999, and it was the first big change to happen to the Canadian political map since Newfoundland joined Canada in the 40s.  I can sort of remember this happening actually.  Nunavut includes the gigantic islands such as Baffin Island and Ellesmere Island. The population is under 32,000! Mostly made up of Inuit communities.  It is also the northernmost permanently habited place in the world.  Impressive!

Iqaluit used to be called Frobisher Bay.  It has a few interesting facts - it's a pretty little city, with a population under 9,000, but with another city in Greenland, it hosted the first Arctic Winter Games held in 2002.  One of the G7 summit meetings in 2010 was also held there!



You won't find many trees in Iqaluit, as it's too cold.  Today the temperature is a balmy -13 degrees Celcius!

A traditional piece of Inuit culture is throat singing.  Here is a video to learn a bit about it and see what it is like:



I think my favourite thing about the Canadian far north is the beautiful Inuktituk script.  Inuktitut is a widely spoken Inuit language, and the writing is a syllabic system that looks like this:


I've been reading around the city's official page, and now I want to visit.  Hmm.  I wonder what their tourism is like?

No comments:

Post a Comment