Monday 15 July 2013

Interview with Debbie from Happy Yellow Dress


Debbie is the brains and beauty behind Happy Yellow Dress, "a fusion of vintage and modern styles, spun together to make a modern classic". I interviewed Debbie to learn more about her and her gorgeous dress designs:

Cory: How did you begin designing and making clothing, and how did that turn into a business?

Debbie: My cute Mommy taught me everything I know. I grew up in a family with ten kids, so most of my clothes were hand me downs from my big brother, or made with love by my mama. I was also a really tall and gangly kid, so I sewed for myself out of necessity. 

As I got older, the styles of clothing that I loved, (1920's to 1960's style fashions), were hard to find outside of vintage shops, and again, the body type thing got in the way, so I became more creative with my designs. People seemed to like what I was doing, so there was definitely a market there, and thus Happy Yellow Dress was born.

Cory: Where do you get your inspiration for your designs?
Debbie: When I was young, my favourite pastime was watching old movies from the 40's and 50's with my Dad, and I was always obsessed with how beautiful the leading ladies were, and how pretty their dresses always were. Definitely get inspiration from the classics. Grace Kelly in Rear Window, by Alfred Hitchcock is one o' my faves.



Cory: Where do you do your work? What is your workspace like?
Debbie: I work from home. I'd say my work space is pretty clean-ish, considering how small the space is... my bedroom quadruples as warehouse, office, and studio. definitely spills into other areas of the suite tho... Thank God for an understanding roommate!
Cory: Please tell us a little more about Happy Yellow Dress.
Debbie: Happy yellow Dress is a line of women's clothing, mainly dresses, inspired by classic vintage, and made in beautiful Vancouver British Columbia. All of my dresses are named after old rock and roll songs from the 50's and 60's. Our tagline is "Boys will whistle!", and believe me, they do ;)
Cory: And finally, if your dresses were a food, what would they taste like?
Debbie: If my dresses were a food, they'd be banana cream pie!! Didn't even have to think about that one!!!!!
Cory: Mmmmm, banana cream pie...

No comments:

Post a Comment