Monday 17 December 2012

Unique, Cheapest or Best: My 3 rules for success on Etsy

I've chatted to a lot of interesting and creative people about starting up a site on Etsy to sell crafts, and what the secret ingredient it is to making sales... it's unfortunately all too easy to have lovely items but still not make any sales, since there's just so much competition out there. 

From the conversations I've had and the people I've met and tips I've picked up in my own experience, I've developed a rule of three (since in our culture we just love threes, dont we...!).  A sucessful item on Etsy (or any other online selling site really) needs to fit into one of the three categories to make good sales.  It needs to be either:

1. Unique
2. The Cheapest
3. The Best


I've always prided my bookshelf necklaces as falling into the first category (and therefore, also the third haha).  But since I've stumbled across another bookshelf necklace seller (*sob* see previous post), I'm afraid I'm just going to have to hold on to 3 very tightly!

How am I going to do this?  I need better photos, more communication with everyone through social media, and I need to roll out my new bookshelf necklaces (I have some really cute themed ideas cooking!).  I also need to bring this blog a bit more up to snuff, and get back into giving YOU lovely readers free swag.  Ugh, I just used the word swag.

But I'm committed to being number three.  I will stay number three!!!

4 comments:

  1. Not sure about No. 2, whenever I am buying handmade I always go for middle/highest price because I am more confident that the quality will be better :)

    Mick

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do that too, Mick haha :) It definitly shows confidence when an item isn't priced really low... I've been to a lot of craft fairs where some things are severely underpriced and it doesn't look good... I wonder how it affects sales in the long run?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your jewelry is beautiful! I saw your post on the book blogs site and I have become your newest follower. I would love it if you checked out my blog and considered following back!

    www.readerswonderland.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Shpangle, cheapest isn't always the best choice! Love the bookshelf necklace!

    ReplyDelete